Monday, February 4, 2013

4 Under $40

Can I tell you a secret before we get started today? I'm getting really hooked on this 4 Under $40 stuff. I love it. In fact, after shopping this morning my family went to lunch at a local restaurant. The total for our meal was nearly what I can feed this crew for in a week! Yep, almost $40 . . . for lunch! So, I'm extra glad that I can look at this plan today and make up for my momentary lapse of sanity this early in the month. Here's to home cooked meals for the rest of the month. (Insert clapping and cheering here.)

Monday - Chicken Enchiladas


Easy peasy one-dish meal that makes all my crew happy. This replaces "Taco Tuesday," but when I buy something like a deli chicken I prefer to use it early in the week.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Debone rotisserie chicken, shred and place about 31/2 cups into large bowl (store remaining chicken for another meal). Add 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend. 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained. 1 can corn, drained. 1 can black beans, drained. 1/2 can enchilada sauce. (From here you can add or subtract whatever you want, if you like it hotter, add more chilies. Want more veggies? Put them in here. Just finish per your family's taste.) Spoon about 1/2 c chicken mixture into each tortilla, roll, and place into lightly greased baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and 1 c cheese. Bake covered for 20 min and uncovered for 10 min or until cheese nice and melted and browning.

FYI - when comparing the nutritional facts of "Flour Tortillas" to the "Whole Wheat" variety, the flour tends to be as healthy so don't feel the need to splurge to make these "better" for your fam. Just add more veggies into the mix!

Tuesday - Breakfast for Dinner


The Butterball Turkey Links just looked so yummy in the poultry cooler I couldn't resist. I grabbed them and box of just add water pancake mix. (If it makes you feel better I did grab the box of "Wheat Blend." lol) Of course, you can go the "Add milk, and egg, and oil" route, too, but why go to all the trouble?!? The fact is that we love pancakes and I'm not so great at getting up and making it every morning. So, when I can make it for dinner, my crew is still happy and satisfied with cereal in the am! 

Butterball Turkey Links - pan fried
Eggs - cooked to your preference (the fam likes scrambled, I'm an "over well" gal myself)
Pancakes - per box directions or you can find a basic, homemade recipe here. But the box is what's included in this week's totals.

Wednesday - Church


Thursday - Croissant Chicken


Yes, I totally realize that I have royally messed up . . . unless, of course, your family only prefers chicken an doesn't like to eat red meat or pork or anything else. Yes, It's a chicken week here at 4 Under $40, but I do apologize and, like I tell my kiddos, you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit. I'll do better next week!

Boil your split breasts (I like to get them all done and put the extra in the fridge/freezer for later. You only need 3 for this meal - they are HUGE) and remove from bones. Retain 1/2c broth for this meal and 4c for tomorrow. (If there's more keep that too.) Cut each breast into halves or thirds and roll into crescent roll. Place into lightly greased baking dish (9x13"). In medium saucepan melt 1/2 stick (4T) butter. Add soup, 1/2c milk, and broth. Mix well adding cheese (1c) when well combined. Stir until melted. Pour mixture over chicken and bake 35min. Serve over rice. I also like to add a side of broccoli. 

Friday - Leek and Potato Soup


It's been a few weeks since I recommended this dish for a few reasons. #1 - I've been blender-less since the summer and became the proud owner of a NINJA (kitchen system - he he) over Christmas. #2 - leeks have been a bit scarce in the produce dept, but I found them today so here you have it! Besides, we're due for a vegetarian dinner anyway.

Here is the recipe from an earlier post.

BONUS: Before I post the final list let me add one more thing. It's looking like the Grand Total is $36.94. For an extra meal that will barely put you over $40 add one of the DiGiorno Pizza & Sides for $5.98. It's a full meal for just under $6 allowing you to get 5 meals for $42.92. Not too shabby!

~Meg

Monday
13.48
Rotisserie Chicken
4.99
8in Burito
2.18
Borden Mexican Blend Cheese
2/$4
2
1
La Preferida Enchilada Sauce
1.51
2
LL Diced Tomatoes with Chiles
5/$3
1.20
2
LL Corn
.80(+/-)
Bush's Black Beans
5/$4
0.80
1
Tuesday
6.97
LL Eggs
1.88/doz
0.94
6
Hungry Jack Pan Cake Mix
3.28
Butterball Turkey Sausage Links
2.75
Thursday
8.79
Tyson Split Breast Chicken
.98/lb
1.96
2 lb
Immaculate Crescent Roll
1.50
Borden Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2/$4
2
1 cup
LL Cream of Chicken Soup
1.08
1
LL Rice
1(+/-)
Green Giant Box Veggies
8/$10
1.25
1
Friday
7.70
Leeks
1.98/bunch
1.98
Onion
1.28/lb
0.69
1
Garlic
4/$1
0.25
1
Yukon Gold Potatoes
5#
3.98
3#
Bush's Great Northern Beans
5/$4
0.80
1
Borden Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 c
Grand Total:
$36.94

No comments:

Post a Comment